Monday, August 9, 2010

Yay, birthday!

This unicorn is wishing me a happy birthday!
So, today is my birthday, and I feel obligated to post something. Something quick and short.

I am a quarter of a century. I feel very old, although everyone scoffs at that idea. But today has been fantastic--so fantastic that I completely forgot I aged today!

What I did today:

*Took off work
*Slept in (but not too late--only till about 8:30)
*Exercised!
*Went out to eat with Mom, ate back what I worked off, I'm sure, with one fudge-topped, delicious Sundae. Which was free.
*Went shopping with Mom
*Had a fruit smoothie at McDonald's, because I've been thinking it actually looks good. (Shocking!) It really was!
*Came home and responded to the almost a hundred emails/facebook shout-outs.

Today has been great!

Of course, aside from my birth, August 9th has great historical significance. Not for good reasons, necessarily. I know it is the day the US dropped the Atomic bomb on Nagasaki. (Really, really sorry!)

A few other historical events, according to Historyorb.com and brainyhistory.com:
48 BC - Caesar's civil war: Battle of Pharsalus - Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt. (Though this date may be off...)
1173 - Construction of the Tower of Pisa begins, and it takes two centuries to complete. (Sweet!)
1483 - Opening of the Sistine Chapel (Also sweet!)

1726 - Netherlands signs Covenant of Hannover 
1854 Henry David Thoreau publishes "Walden"
1930 Betty Boop debuts in Max Fleischer's animated cartoon Dizzy Dishes 
1950 Lusty Song wins Hambletonian  (At first, I thought this was a song. I don't know much about horses.)
1964 1st Rolling Stones concert in Netherlands  (Apparently, the Netherlands love August 9!)
1973 - USSR launches Mars 7
1992 - "Streetcar Named Desire" closes at Ethel Barrymore NYC after 137 performances

OK, so that's enough. Yeah, well, you get the point.

So, go have a piece of cake, or better yet (and my favorite), ice cream. It's for my birthday. And birthday calories don't count, you know?

PS--I love unicorns.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Sarah! I'm glad you had a great day. Good idea with the history thing--liked that.

Dawn Embers said...

Happy Birthday!!!

*celebrates and throws confetti*

Laura Canon said...

By the power of unicorns and glitter I wish you happy birthday!

Amalia Dillin said...

Happy Birthday!!!! :) :) :)

I loved your birthday picture by the way.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Happy Birthday!

And don't worry about feeling old- I'm going to turn 30 at the end of the month and let me tell you, that feels really old.

Glad you had a wonderful day- I hope you ate tons of cake and ice cream!

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

Happy belated.

I am SERIOUSLY behind in my google reader, and I'm sorry my birthday wishes to you were therefore delayed.

I hope it was happy!

dolorah said...

I'm late, but happy birthday anyways.

Thats a cool list of historical events. I love learning trivia.

......dhole