Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Health issues

I find that I, an anti-news person almost all of my life, have become obsessed with it. Well, as obsessed as I can be with it. Perhaps this is due in part to my year's work at a local newspaper; perhaps this is due to the current situation of the world: recession, politics (which I am not such a fan of, by the way), world interest. It could be because I really like Harry from CBS' early show, too. Not completely sure. But more and more, I find myself discussing news with my friend at work.

We have some pretty interesting discussions, and today's morphed from new reports by some that people shouldn't be getting mammograms, to men with breast cancer on the rise, to this article from Newsweek: The Case for Killing Granny. She found it, or heard about it--I had not. She sent me this link, and I read it, a little--just a bit. What with the current health care issue, it seems all of this is ever more important, ever more interesting. Most of the time, I feel I don't know what to think. But if a person wants to die, isn't that their right? If a person wants to live, shouldn't they have that option? And if a young woman can get cancer at the age of 27, why shouldn't mammograms be important, no matter the age of the woman (or man)?

I don't know. I really don't. And I hate to not be able to tie up my posts. But there you have it. News never really ends, either. And maybe this is sort of like reports on the healthiness of eggs. First they're bad, then they're good, then the cycle starts all over again. It's almost like the old question of the Chicken and the Egg. In fact, maybe all health issues can be related back to that question.

No comments: